Saturday, July 19, 2014

dining in the dark

A few months ago, I found a LivingSocial deal for O Noir.


A 3-course meal for 2, for a fairly decent price. Obviously I had to get it!

I had wanted to go to O Noir for a few years now but never had the chance and was never willing to dish out the money for it. 

For those who don't know, O Noir is a restaurant where you dine completely in the dark, and are served by waiters who are blind. They have 2 locations-- one in Toronto and one in Montreal.

The experience was totally not what I expected. 

You first order what you'd like to eat outside of the dining room, where there is still light. Once you have decided, you are brought in to the pitch black dining room, with only your waiter guiding you to your table.




It took a little while to adjust to the complete darkness, and my sister and I would always get spooked when we hear our waiter suddenly start speaking next to us.

Our appetizer came first, and we both ordered the Grilled Calamari with Tomato. I was skeptical about the calamari and tomato pairing but they actually went together really well! My sister and I both had to stab blindly at our plates to try to get the squid and tomato onto our forks. I eventually resorted to using my fingers to guide me (shh..).

Next up was the Marinated Shrimp with Herbs, Served with Risotto and Vegetables. I wasn't the biggest fan of this dish. At this point I was starting to get a bit of a headache as well from the lack of being able to see.

For dessert, I chose the Dark Chocolate Mousse with Cocoa Powder. Sissy got the "Surprise Dessert", which ended up being a Strawberry Shortcake (something that was not listed on the menu).


As soon as we finished, we wanted to get out of there. I have definitely developed a new found respect for the visually impaired.

Would I do this over again? Probably not. It was an interesting experience and one I am glad I had the chance to do, but I didn't find the food to be that amazing nor worth the price!

O.Noir on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment