Sunday, February 9, 2014

sukhothai

I love Thai food.

I think it all started with my parents' obsession with Spring Rolls (the restaurant) and how often we used to go.

So many of my friends have told me to try Sukhothai, which is apparently "one of the best, if not the best, Thai restaurants in the city".

Say whattt? I've always been a Khao San Road girl, so this was somewhere I just had to try.


I had tried to call to make reservations, but it seems as if they don't take them. When I called their number I just got an automated voice message advertising the restaurant and listing their locations. Cool.

When we got there, there was a bit of a wait so my mom decided to sit by the bar and be asian.



My parents felt a little weird being there because they thought they looked like the oldest people in the room. It might have been true, but it's okay because they were with me, and I look like I'm 16.

We ordered some Thai iced tea and mango juice. Thai iced tea has got to be one of my favourite drinks-- it has the most unique flavours and is nothing like I've ever tasted. It it usually made with a black tea, and is mixed together with a combination of spices and condensed milk. You gotta try it!


My sister and I both got the Sukhothai Pad Thai. I assumed this was the most comparable to Khao San Road's Street Style Pad Thai, which is what I usually order there.

Verdict? It was good! Still not as good as KSR in my opinion, but it was pretty flavourful, and the portion size was relatively large.


Gaeng Kiaw Wan, or Green Curry, as it is known to us non-Thai folks.

My dad ordered this and wanted it to be "extremely spicy" when our server asked about the spice level. We looked at him and just laughed. I told the waiter to just give him medium-spicy, and good thing, because he found it to be already quite spicy when he tried it.

green curry w/ bamboo shoots, thai basil, green peppers, kaffir lime leaves

My mom chose a noodle soup. I can't exactly remember what this dish was called, but it was definitely something along the lines of pho. I'm just going to say this is the Guaytiaw sukhoTHAI. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

thai noodle soup w/ beef

So did Sukhothai live up to its reputation? Yes and no. It is definitely a good spot if you're looking for some authentic Thai food. The service was a little slow, but the flavours of the food made up for it.

But if I had the choice between Sukhothai and Khao San Road? Sorry Sukhothai, but it's still Khao San Road for me!

Sukho Thai on Urbanspoon