Thursday, February 13, 2014

splendido

With two reservations down, my third Winterlicious was at Splendido

Kat drove us downtown in the freezing cold and after several attempts to parallel park (let's just say we fulfilled the stereotype of being asian women drivers...), we made it to the restaurant.

The hosts greeted us warmly when we first arrived and took our coats before seating us at our table.


The first thing I noticed was that the space was a lot smaller than I thought it'd be.

The decor of the restaurant also seemed mismatched-- on the right was a wall of mirrors, on the left were various pieces of fine art, and finally on the back wall were rustic-looking jars lining the back near the kitchen. A little confusing, but I digress.


The second thing I noticed was an Asian guy sitting at a table near us.

And no, not because I thought he was hot.

I couldn't put my finger on why I recognized him when suddenly it hit me-- he is/was (?) a contestant on MasterChef Canada, and my favourite one at that! I kept sneaking glances and eventually we made awkward eye contact so I stopped...

But enough about my creeper tendencies, and onto the food!

Kat and I both ordered the Roasted Sweetbreads to start.

I had never tried sweetbreads and I wanted to be adventurous. How gorgeous is this plating? I loved that they served it on a wooden board.

As for the flavour, sweetbreads taste exactly how I imagined they would. Not exactly my cup of tea, but they tasted a lot better when coupled with the potato and pomegranates that they came as garnish.

potato foam, glazed button mushrooms, watercress

For our entrees, I chose the Ricotta Agnolotti

The presentation was a little sub par in my opinion, but the dish did not disappoint. 

A little bit buttery, but the truffle really highlighted the flavours of the pasta. I had originally though that the portion was a little small but the agnolotti did end up being quite filling. 

Add a little garnish, and the dish would've been a 10/10 in my books.

w/ spanish perigord black truffles

Kat got the Roasted Sea Bass. The little red dots are piquillo puree and were surprisingly concentrated with strong red pepper flavour! They definitely helped add a little kick to the fish.

chavot spice couscous, piquillo puree, lemon vinaigrette

Last but not least, we both ordered the Chocolate & Peanut for dessert. We didn't really know what this was until we actually got the dish, but hey, chocolate and peanut (butter) is one of the best combos there is so we knew that we couldn't go wrong!

This is what we got -


Kat and I kept joking that it was peanut butter poop.

The presentation could use a little work but this was ah-maze-ing. The peanut butter mousse was smooth and light, the chocolate ganache was rich and bitter (the good kind), and the sorbet really helped cut through the sweetness of it all by adding a tangy element.

Splendido was a great Winterlicious choice-- the food was great and the company even better.

A splendid meal indeed!

Splendido on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment