Tuesday, February 18, 2014

khao san road

AT LAST! I get to blog about one of my favourite restaurants in Toronto.


The last few times I had try to get my KSR fill, the restaurant had always been jam packed or was closed.

It was 9pm on a Wednesday, so I figured I'd have a way better shot of getting a table. It was still pretty packed, but we got a seat at the bar.

And then that was when the craziness started.

A man approached the guy* who was sitting next to me at the bar, and they exchanged a few words before the guy next to me got up, paid for his meal, and decided to leave.

On his way out, he made a pit stop at the man's table, and threw the man's drink in his face. Of course the man at the table was not having any of it, and threw his glass at the guy except it ended up smashing against the wall and shattered water and glass everywhere.

Water got all over my bag and leg, and a piece of glass narrowly missed my mom's eye.

More words were exchanged and spit went flying.

It was like drama straight from a movie.

Eventually they both left and we decided to move seats, in fear there were leftover shards of glass where we were sitting.

*They were both male... I just used man and guy to better differentiate between the two


What a crazy start to our meal.

As always when I come here, I ordered the Thai Iced Tea, which is one of my favourite drinks in the entire world.



I got my favourite dish as well, the Three Flavours Pad Thai (or Pad Thai Sam Roas, if you speak Thai).

I think this was named something different previously (the Chef's Special Pad Thai?) but they seemed to have changed the menu since I came here last.

Look at that saucy, peanut-y, noodle goodness...

rice noodles, tamarind, egg, tofu, bean sprout, fresh roasted peanuts, shallot, garlic, chive, dried chili, lime

Mother got the normal one, the Pad Thai Satai Krung Tep (Bangkok-Style Pad Thai). She likes this one better because the noodles are not as saucy.


rice, tamarind, egg, tofu, bean sprout, pickled radish, shallot, chives, dried shrimp, fish sauce, fresh roasted peanuts, lime

These next two dishes weren't ordered during this visit (kind of a while back, actually) but I figured they deserved honorable mentions in this post!

The Pad Gra Prao,

beef, red bell pepper, onion, garlic, fresh green chili, holy basil, served w/ fried egg on rice

and the Khao Soi.

egg noodles, golden curry, coconut milk, crispy noodles, scallions, coriander, lime, chicken

The next time you are craving Thai while you're in the city (or even 100 km away), head over to Khao San Road-- I promise you won't be disappointed.

Khao San Road on Urbanspoon

1 comment: