Saturday, January 11, 2014

la carnita

Kat texted me at work one Friday saying she wanted to go on a foodie adventure later that evening. Being the food lover I am, how could I say no?

We both decided we wanted Mexican, so where better to go than La Carnita? Kat drove down to Toronto and picked me up, and off we went in search of Mexican goodness.


The restaurant was packed by the time we got there, which was around 8ish. There were crowds of people at the bar sipping on drinks while chatting away with their friends, people seated at the tables chowing down on their food, and hungry people like us who were waiting for a table by the door.

The wait was approx 1 hour but we decided to stick it out because a) we had heard really good things about this place and wanted to try it, and b) there weren't many other options around.

While we were waiting we noticed that the music that was playing throughout the restaurant constantly changed from Spanish music to hip hop, yet it still maintained the same beat. Kat even made me Shazam a song to prove that what we were suddenly hearing was Jay Z!

Finally a hostess came over and told us our table was ready. Alas, food!


It took us a while to figure out what we wanted. Their menu is relatively small but everything just sounded so good!

We first went for the Mexican Street Corn. And by corn I mean the best darn corn I have ever had in my life. Smothered in the most amazing sauce and spices, this is a dish you must must must get if you come here. MUST. I'm just drooling thinking about this corn again, and it's been like 2 months since I've had it.

Mexican crema, queso anejo, arbol & ancho chili powder

Next up? Tacos, of course! In Cod We Trust (bottom left), Carnita (top left), Beef Cheek (right).

Cod - Voltron sauce, lime crema, pickled red cabbage, green apple, cilantro
Carnita - confit pork, jalapeno sauce, mango salsa, queso anejo, cilantro
Beef Cheek - ancho braised cheek, lime avocado, green cabbage, pickled jalapeno, crispy shallots

We obviously weren't full after just 2 tacos each so... we got more. Pollo Frito (left) and another In Cod We Trust.

Pollo Frito - peanut mole sauce, pickled green cabbage, salsa fresca

Verdict: In Cod We Trust is a winner. I used to hate fish tacos (a judgement I had made prior to actually ever trying one) but recently I've come to discover that the fish ones are usually the best choice out of the bunch!

Overall though, the tortillas were a little dry for my liking but everything was still jam packed with flavour.

Looking back, I do have one regret. I so desperately wanted to try their paletas (Mexican popsicles) because I always see people posting pictures of them on Instagram and they always look so pretty and delicious.

They usually have funky flavours like coffee & donuts, caramel & mini eggs, and buttered popcorn (crazy, right?), but unfortunately for us there were only normal flavours that night-- chocolate, key lime, blah. I didn't exactly feel like dishing out $4 for a typical popsicle flavour (which is still relatively inexpensive, but I didn't feel like it was worth it) so we just decided to skip dessert.

If you decide to make a trip to La Carnita, try going at an off-peak time, or else be sure to make resos to avoid a long wait!

La Carnita on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment