Saturday, January 26, 2013

saturday morning pancakes

This morning I woke up, not knowing what to have for breakfast, and my mother comes down and says "Why don't you make pancakes? We haven't had any in a while."
Well mother, challenge accepted.

Found a quick little recipe online and off I went.

2 eggs
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp salt
Milk, as required

Break the eggs into a bowl and whisk whisk whisk plenty of air into them.
Of course the asian side of me comes out and I use chopsticks to whisk

Mix the flour, salt, and brown sugar together. Sift the mixture twice.
I didn't have a sifter so.. I used spoons. Innovative? Yes.

Add the eggs and stir well.

Pour milk in, 1/2 cup at a time, until you get a nice pancake batter consistency (not too runny, not too thick).

Ladle batter into a skillet, and flip once little bubbles appear on the surface and edges.

So the pancakes didn't exactly turn out how I expected them to... I think the main reason was because I didn't have baking powder so I picked a recipe that didn't need it. The pancakes resembled a thicker version of "socca", an eggy crepe that I had once tried in Nice.

The first pancake.. didn't turn out so well.

I resorted to eating the pancakes plain, ripping off bite sized pieces as if it was some sort of bread instead.


Clearly I am not the best baker... I've learned I quite enjoy cooking more than baking, not sure why. Maybe it's just that I don't have the patience to make everything then wait for it to bake! Although I guess pancakes aren't really considered baked goods but... you get my point.

My Saturday morning: "pancakes" and Flashpoint

No comments:

Post a Comment